Town of Owls Head



Listed below are frequently asked questions and responses.  If you do not find your question there please contact the town office at 207-594-7434 and someone will be glad to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Address & Phone Number of Town Office
Physical Address:

Town of Owls Head 
224 Ash Point Drive
Owls Head, ME  04854
207-594-7434 • Fax 207-594-7598

Mailing Address:

Town of Owls Head
224 Ash Point Drive
Owls Head, ME  04854


Emergency Numbers

Dial 911 or 207-596-6552
Fire Chief, Steven Hallett:  207-458-4802
Boat & Boat Trailer Registrations
Photo ID is required for all transactions

Contact:  Eleanor Stone, Tax Collector @ Town Office  207-594-7434 ext 1

Harbor Questions:  Adam Philbrook, Harbor Master 207-595-8220


Required for New Boat Registrations:  Bill of sale, Maine registration numbers.  State sales tax on the purchase price of a boat will be collected on private sales.  Maine dealerships collect sales tax at the time of purchase. Must have the serial number.

Required for Boat Renewals:  All boat registrations expire on December 31st yearly.  Excise tax is computed on the boat’s age and length.  The Inland Fisheries fees are based on the horsepower of the motor. Must have last registration.

Required for New Boat Trailer Registrations:  Go to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Rockland Branch – 207-596-2255
212 New County Road
Rockland, ME 04841

Required for Boat Trailer Renewals:  Last year’s registration
Dog Licenses
Contact:  Eleanor Stone, Town Clerk @ Town Office, 207-594-7434 ext 1
Required for all Licensing: Dog’s current Maine rabies certificate & spay or neutering certificates
License your dog for the New Year before January 1st
A $25.00 late fee will be charged if not paid by February 1st

2024  Dog Licenses are available October 16, 2023
Hunting & Fishing Licenses
Contact:  Eleanor Stone, Town Clerk @ Town Office, 207-594-7434 ext 1

Required for New License:  Must be a resident of Maine for at least 3 months.

Required for Renewal:  Bring evidence of a previous hunting (or archery) license or a  Safe Hunter’s Card.
Marriage License
Contact:  Eleanor Stone, Town Clerk @ Town Office, 207-594-7434 ext 1
We issue marriage licenses if you are an Owls Head Resident or if both Bride & Groom reside outside of Maine.  Please call to set up an appointment. This process can take up to an hour.  We do not process these after 3:00 PM.
You will need Photo IDs, certified copies of the last divorce decree, or the death certificate of the former spouse if applicable.
You’ll need to know your mother’s maiden name, the State or Country your parents were born in, and the Date of the Wedding.
The License is only good for three months.  If it is not used in that time frame, it is voided, and you’ll need to fill out the paperwork again.
Mooring Permits
Questions:   Adam Philbrook, Harbor Master (207) 595-8220
Walter Wotton, Deputy Harbor Master (207) 594-8915
$50.00 Year-Round Resident per year
$100.00 Non-Resident per year
(Year-Round Resident of Owls Head)
Required for Renewal:  All renewals are due by July 1st every year.
Post Office
Address:  5 Main Street
Owls Head, Maine 04854
TEL: (207) 594-3302
Monday through Friday:  Window – 7:30 am to 9:30 am and 2:15 pm to 4:15 pm
Monday through Friday:  Lobby – 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
Saturday:  Window – 8:30 am to 11:00 am
Saturday:  Lobby – 7:30 am to 11:00 am
Property Tax
Contact:  Eleanor Stone, Tax Collector @ Town Office, 207-594-7434 ext 1

Real Estate and Personal Property Tax can be paid in full or in two installments.

The first installment is due by October 12, 2023.  Interest at 4% will be charged on any balances due as of November 13, 2023.

The second installment is due by March 14, 2024.  Interest at 4% will still be charged on any balances due as of April 15, 2024.
Vehicle Excise Tax & Registrations
Contact:  Eleanor Stone, Tax Collector @ Town Office, 207-594-7434 ext 1
Payment of excise tax is required on all vehicles in the town of residence before vehicle registration.   

Required for New Registration:

  • Monroney label or window sticker
  • Blue copy of the title application
  • Previous registration of the vehicle traded or sold which plates are being transferred.
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Current mileage.
  • Required for Renewal:  Previous registration, proof of insurance, and current mileage.
Rapid Renewal
To register your vehicles online, please use the link below to start the process:

Once completed, you will receive your registration and stickers in the mail from the State within a few days
ATVs & Snowmobiles Registrations
IIF&W Emblem
Contact:  Eleanor Stone, Tax Collector @ Town Office, 207-594-7434 ext 1
Christine Fee, Administrative Assistant @ 207-594-7434 ext 2

ATV’s registration fee is $70.00 
The snowmobile renewal fee is $55.00

Beginning on October 25, 2023

Update from Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife

Agent Fees will increase for ATV & Snowmobile registrations. Currently, Agent fees range from $1 - $2 depending on the registration type. Beginning on October 25, 2023, this fee will increase to $5.00 for all ATV & Snowmobile registrations. The fee will apply to new, renewal, and rollover registration transactions for both ATV & Snowmobiles.

Voter Registration
Contact:  Eleanor Stone, Registrar of Voters @ Town Office.  207-594-7434 ext 1

Alternate Contact:  Christine Fee, Deputy Registrar of Voters 207-594-7434 ext 2

Maine allows you to use any of the following identification to register to vote:

  • Government-issued photograph identification document or credential. A government-issued photo identification document or credential, including, but not limited to, a current and valid United States passport, military identification, driver’s license, or state identification; or
  • Other government-issued identification documents. A government-issued identification document without a photograph, including, but not limited to, a certified birth certificate or a signed social security card; or
  • Other official documents. An official document, including, but not limited to, a document confirming eligibility determinations for public benefits, a utility bill, a bank statement, a government check, a paycheck, or other government documents that shows the name and address of the voter; or
  • Maine ID or Driver’s License number, or the last four of your social security number, if it is already in our computer system

You don’t need to have any particular item from the above list. For example, not having a government-issued photographic identification document does not prevent you from registering to vote in Maine. Any of the above works on its own!

You can register to vote at any time of the year (including Election Day) at the Owls Head Town Office.  The Town Office is open Monday through Thursday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Waste Disposal
Bulk Waste Disposal (Stump Dump & Yard Waste)

224 Ash Point Drive
Owls Head, ME  04854
Open:  Wednesday & Saturdays
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Closed from 12-1 for lunch
Transfer Station (Solid Waste & Recycled Waste)
34 Buttermilk Lane
Thomaston, ME  04861
Open:  Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Click here for Fees & Guidelines
Stickers are available for sale at the OHST Transfer Station for $20.00 and are valid from January 1, 2023 through December 31, 2024.  Must show proof of residency.